The Idyllwild subspecies of the Southern Pacific rattlesnake is considered the most dangerous in the US, combining a potentially lethal mix of hemotoxic and neurotoxic venoms.
Living Free has joined with the Idyllwild Antivenom Group (IAG), ARF and Dr. Lindsay Crowley to provide rapid response emergency treatment for animal envenomation for Idyllwild and surrounding communities.
The IAG, Donivee Nash and Dr. John Etchart have provided a supply of Venom Vet antivenin (formulated to combat both neurotoxic and hemotoxic venoms) and Living Free has IV fluids, endotracheal tubes, injectable Benadryl and other medications required to treat animal envenomation.
IF YOUR DOG IS BITTEN:
Time is critical when treating for snakebite, and it’s also critical to remain calm. Your dog will respond to your energy, and the calmer the dog remains, the better.
- Call Dr. Crowley immediately at (951) 444-1838. Dr. Crowley can be reached through her service 24/7.
- Call Living Free at (951) 659-4687 and notify Sharon Caughron, Matt Worthington or Edgar Santiago that your dog has been bitten and you are in transit to Living Free.
- Do not delay transit to the clinic, but if you are delayed, if possible, Benadryl can help slow swelling. Children’s liquid Benadryl is easiest to administer for pets. Dr. Crowley recommends at least a double dosage (2 mg per pound) for canine snakebite victims. There’s little danger of overdose, but slowing the rapid swelling may save your dog’s life.
- Stay calm and drive carefully. An accident or ticket will only delay getting your pet help. Have a friend or other family member drive, if possible.
- Keep the dog calm and curtail all activity. Carry your dog, if possible.
- Keep your dog cool by placing ice packs, alcohol or cool water on their feet.
- Do not attempt to treat the bite area.
- Notify the vet of any allergies or other medical conditions.